The event will include the launch of a paper that provides a vision of a renewed and revamped understanding of the role and nature of official development assistance (ODA) and other types of concessional international public finance.
Speakers for the launch of Global Public Investment, An inspiring proposal for the future of aid include:
- Rt Hon Helen Clark, Patron, Helen Clark Foundation (former New Zealand Prime Minister and former UNDP Administrator)
- Noel Gonzalez, Director General for Policy Planning and Multilateral Fora at AMEXCID (former co-chair of the Global Partnership for Effective Development Cooperation, GPEDC)
- Moses Mulumba, Executive Director of the Center for Health, Human Rights and Development (CEHURD)
- Harpinder Collacott, Executive Director, Development Initiatives
- Julia Greenberg, Director of Governance & Financing, Open Society Public Health Program
- Jonathan Glennie, Senior Fellow, Joep Lange Institute
- Christoph Benn, Director for Global Health Diplomacy, Joep Lange Institute (moderator)
The event will include presentations and discussion with strong participation from the invited guests. The two main presentations will be from Development Initiatives, summarising the current context of aid and international cooperation, and the Joep Lange Institute, which will set out the full proposal for Global Public Investment, including the five paradigm shifts required. Respondents will include representatives of governments and civil society, North and South. There will be ample time for discussion and questions. The discussion will be followed by a chance to chat over drinks and nibbles.
When: Wednesday 25 September, 5:00 – 6:30 PM
Where: Open Society Foundations, 224 W 57th St, New York, NY (at Broadway)
Hosted by Open Society Foundations
Download summary here: Global Public Investment EXECUTIVE SUMMARY